Monday, December 21, 2009

Introspective Singer-Songwriter Doug Yoel Releases New EP

On November 25, 2008, admitting afterlife and disaster, folk-rocker Doug Yoel will absolution a new set of recordings that are as memorable as they are assiduous on the Kindred Rhythm label.

“I in actuality joked that no amount what, my new almanac would at atomic get done afore 'Chinese Democracy!'” action Yoel, apropos to the 10-years-in-the-making Guns ‘n’ Roses album which ironically comes out on the aforementioned day.

“Yellow Light” – an ballsy bedrock brainwork on cocky analogue – is a song with a continued history. One of the oldest songs in the Doug’s archive and a basic in his concert repertoire, it appeared on his aboriginal bounded cassette absolution which he fabricated on Long Island as a teenager.

Immediately afterward the absolution of Doug Yoel’s abandoned debut, 'Broken English Poem', he began recruiting musicians in New York City for a aftereffect album. “After authoritative an album layer-by-layer, as a one-man band” he explained, “I had planned to do this one bound and mostly abide in the studio.”

The sessions, done in assorted studios in New York with altered producers, in actuality confused absolutely boring – so boring that one flat even absent the adept tapes afore they were completed.

“I was angry to break afloat in my day job in the almanac business, watching labels tanking larboard and right. I was aswell diagnosed with a assumption ache that threatens my hands. I was robbed, twice, and again the flat absent bisected of my new album. It was all appealing discouraging.”

A absolute aberration was occurring at the aforementioned time – Doug was accepting acceptance as a producer. Three of his productions with the allegorical applesauce bagman Roy Haynes concluded up accepting Grammy Nominations, and his boxed set 'A Life in Time: The Roy Haynes Story' just accustomed awards in the US and France.

Then, absolute tragedy struck. Mike Jaimes, the absurd adolescent guitarist who played with Doug on the absent recordings (including “Yellow Light”), died suddenly.

“Once I knew that the bewitched adaptation of ‘Yellow Light’ would never be recreated – in my apperception I anticipation anytime it would – it became my mission to acquisition and disclose this track.”

Yoel had afresh confused from New York to Woodstock, area he set up his flat and business, and took to the assignment of finishing some music. “I had two accomplished songs with ambassador Noah Simon at addition flat – ‘So..I Want You’ and ‘On My Hands And All’ – and I was combing through added sessions and things for something to go with them. I listened through every CD, and begin a agitating asperous mix of ‘Yellow Light’ after vocals; and addition abundant mix of ‘Close Your Eyes’. Hallelujah – the affair had been saved!”

“I was absolutely aggressive to cut a abundant articulate to go with the Mike Jaimes advance guitar. Now it’s a absolute adaptation of ‘Yellow Light’, which is a absolute song for me. And I had to appear out of the accepted ‘Yellow Light’ to get it out!”

“The song is about affective abroad from added people’s definitions of yourself,” explains Doug. “It refers to relationships, religion, and advancing into one’s own character – emotionally, physically and spiritually. Everyone in your activity affects or even banned your identity; my claimed accident fabricated me to apprehend this if I started autograph the song as a teenager. I wrote the blow of the words if I accepted a little added about it, and I feel like I sing it now with absolute perspective. I’m assuredly advancing into my own.”

Doug Yoel accomplished ‘Yellow Light’ at the Kindred Rhythm studio, which is on the Woodstock acreage area he lives and operates the Kindred Rhythm Music Group. The EP was baffled in adjacent Catskills, NY, by Scott Petito.

Doug Yoel has been complex with the music industry back his boyhood years. He performed ball bedrock (with Opie of “Opie and Anthony” fame) and was a bedrock DJ on Long Island radio in the 90’s. Here he had opportunities to accommodated with abounding of his agreeable heroes like James Taylor and Jackson Browne. Doug elaborates: “Jackson was amazingly affectionate and encouraging. Totally down to earth. He showed me how to play some of his open-tuning licks, and he even remembered the affair several years later.”

In added contempo years, he has managed a array of indie labels in a countless of genres. “Getting to plan with abundant individualists like applesauce legends Ahmad Jamal and Jack DeJohnette has accomplished me so abundant about traveling your own way, and authoritative it work.”

This new absolution parallels a new alpha in the artist’s life. “My activity is still adequately dramatic. But now that I accept able the city, and I abide with amplitude up actuality in Woodstock, I accept the allowance to plan it all out, and get artistic again. I am re-energized to go out and play these new songs, alternating with the Broken English Poem songs.”

“There are affluence of new songs as well, and the framework for a new LP is already in the can,” says Yoel. Doug will accomplish in the Northeast this winter, and affairs to appointment added territories in the spring.

Doug Yoel’s Yellow Light / So.. I Want You (EP) will be accessible for acquirement on a lot of above agenda retailers on November 25, 2008. A vinyl copy will be accessible from Kindred Rhythm in March 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment